Wednesday, March 4, 2015

This is Fantastic Four #44 published in 1965. I bought it at Hunt's Supermarket (where comic books would sit on shelves for years) when I was seven years old. It was the first issue of FF I ever owned. In 1982 I had the good luck to get it signed by Jack Kirby at a small comic book convention. In the ensuing thirty years I tried repeatedly to get Stan's signature. He cancelled on a show in Dallas at the last minute. I went to a lecture he gave here in San Antonio in the mid-nineties and was primed to get my book signed when I learned that you needed a ticket to get his autograph, and all said tickets were already distributed. So I watched as a parade of mouth breathers got Stan Lee to sign a wide variety of comic books he wasn't even tangentially involved with. Remember, the guy hasn't really written anything on a regular basis for forty years. When I found out Stan was coming to Austin, I took no chances. I bought my special VIP ticket (which guaranteed me a photo op and autograph) back in June! So I'm finally in the autograph line and, sure enough, the people in front of me are having him sign stacks of books like Superman and the Flash that he never had anything to do with, comics that featured characters he created, but which he didn't write, and a wide assortment of bobble heads and other junk. My turn finally came and I gave Stan my comic book opened to the first page. He grinned and said, "Jack didn't leave me much room, did he?" He signed the page and announced triumphantly, "I squeezed it in!" I felt like Captain Ahab catching the White Whale.

No comments:

Post a Comment